School Dr. Jaime Monteiro
Teacher: Márcia Oliveira
English Exercises – Simple Present Tense
1. Read the dialogue and answer the questions.
Mr. Robins: What’s your name, please?
Gloria: Elliot, Gloria Elliot.
Mr. Robins: What do you do in the morning?
Gloria: I go to school.
Mr. Robins: Do you have the afternoons free?
Gloria: Yes, I do.
Mr. Robins: We have two afternoon positions: salad assistant ad dish washer,
Gloria: I love salad !
Mr. Robins: What do you know about salad?
Gloria: A good salad is fresh and colorful.
a. What are the characters in the dialogue?
b. What Gloria does in the morning?
c. The subject of the text is:
( ) a news
( ) a job interview
( ) a joke
d. Gloria is a good candidate for a job?
( ) Yes, she’s a good candidate.
( ) No, she isn’t a good candidate .
2. Underline the verbs in the 3ª person singular.
I work in a bank and my friend John works there too. I walk to work, but John goes by bus. We sometimes meet at the cafeteria and have a coffee together. After work, I go to night school and I study until late. John has more fun. He plays football with his friends or goes to the disco. But I want a better job, so while he plays, I learn.
· There too:_____________________
· While: _________________________
· Until late: ______________________
· More fun: ______________________
· After: _________________________
· Together: ______________________
· Bus: __________________________
· To Work: ______________________
· To walk: _______________________
· To go: _________________________
· To meet: _______________________
· To want: _______________________
· To play:________________________
3. Suplly the simple present of the verbs in the parentheses.
a. Dogs ____________ (bark).
b. I usually ___________ to school. (walk).
c. He___________ near his house. (work).
d. She never____________ sandwiches. (eat)
e. We _________ apples at the supermarket. (buy)
4. Supply the following verb forms.
Eats - have - make - drink - like - speaks - play - leaves - visits - plays
a. We __________ breakfast at 7 o’clock.
b. They_____________ to study English.
c. That girl_____________ French well.
d. The plane____________at 10 o’clock.
e. The children__________in the park every day.
f. John __________the piano perfectly.
g. You always______________delicious cakes.
h. She __________her parents every Sunday.
i. They usually__________much wine.
j. Little Peter_____________fruit every morning.